Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Chitenje Board Shorts?

Billy the tailor copied these for me from my son's Billabong boardies - and did a pretty good job I think!
They all sold except for one last pair - so I'll ask Billy to make more when I get back to Malawi. I'll try to find some really bold, brighter chitenjes for them - and make some bigger ones too.
(Chitenjes are the local cloths, sold in lengths of 2 yards, which women wear around their waists and over their western clothes. They also wear a length as a shawl in colder weather and carry babies in a chitenje sling over one shoulder. I buy them from local markets and they are printed in Malawi on polycotton and in Tanzania on 100% cotton. Perhaps the polycotton would actually be better for boardshorts - quicker drying?)


Ben and his friend Chulu are modelling them for me.
And here is an unrelated but nice pic of the main vege market in Lilongwe, Malawi - isn't it lovely?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Trace. Donve told me about you. She said you like the flower badge she bought from me. I would definetly like to come by some time and drop off a sample of what we make. Here is my website www.forgetmeknot.co.za The shop looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donve. Definitely come by and show us your stuff! Looking forward to seeing it and you!

    ReplyDelete